Thursday, May 22, 2014

RE-IMAGINING YOUR LIFE'S WORK




Do you know what you wish to be when you grow up?

25 years ago, my brother-in-law asked me about my career goals.  My answer was simple: I just wanted to pastor a church, to create relevant ministry that blessed a community.  He was not impressed.  He decided that I was a person of low aspiration.  In fact I was just trying to enjoy each season of life that presented itself and to savor it as if it would last forever!



In the last 25 years, I have worked as a pastor of evangelism in a fast-growing church, then as an executive pastor.   I designed and planted two new campuses in one of the early multisite churches, worked five years for a bishop, launched a ministry of consulting and coaching (while still appointed to a local church), left a judicatory job to do experimental ministry with young adults in a strange city, and wrote several books reflecting on all this.  I have worked as a trainer and/or coach with hundreds of church planters across the USA, worked as adjunct staff for a national denominational agency, signed on to teach a seminary class - and today I run two ministry enterprises which impact hundreds of churches each year.

Par for the 21st century. 

I did not script any of this. I just lived creatively and thoughtfully into each moment, took some risks based on my call and my values (never based on career ladder or money), and God has blessed the work. My dad was mystified by a couple of my professional moves - and those two moves were perhaps the most helpful of all! A wise colleague had grave misgivings about my moving into full-time coaching as the Great Recession started.  It turned out to be totally the right moment. I may have good intuition about such things personally.  Or I might just be good at hanging on to the coattails of the Spirit as she moves.

Earlier this year I read the book by Pam Slim entitled Body of Work.  I discovered that she was spelling out into prose what I have been doing the last three decades - she did me the favor of writing my playbook for me! 

People occasionally see what I do for a living- serving as a coach for many of the gutsiest ministry pioneers in the country, and creating resources for helping leaders meet the challenges of this age - and they want to know how they can do something similar when they grow up.Indeed many of our best pastors and lay leaders will want to change keys and re-imagine their ministry in the middle years of their lives - perhaps to begin doing something like what I do - or something else that flows naturally from the narrative of their life. 

So, in the fall of 2014, I am offering a professional development experience called RE-IMAGINING YOUR LIFE'S WORK.  Because God's call extends to every human being, this is not simply a course for pastors - but for any who are seeking to discover where their journey needs to head, perhaps far beyond their current job or title.  If you are more than a dozen years out of school, and moving into a season of reflection about what next in life, I would invite you to come along with a small group of peers on a nine-week exploration. 

RE-IMAGINING YOUR LIFE'S WORK is a nine-session class, based in part on the book Body of Work.   Class is limited to six participants.  We will gather by Webex for ninety minutes a week starting August 27 and complete our work together before the end of October.   Some participants may choose to also complete a gifts/affinities assessment alongside the experience at a very modest additional cost. And Pam Slim plans to join us live for one of the sessions!

TO SEE A QUICK VIDEO ABOUT THE BOOK: click here.
   
CEU's:  Epicenter Group will give each participant a certificate for 1.3 Continuing Education Units. 
 DATES AND TIMES: 10:30-noon each session

Wed, Aug 27
Wed, Sept 3
Tue, Sept 9
Thu, Sept 18
Thu, Sept 25  (possibly will shift to Friday, Sept 26)
Tue, Oct 7                         
Thu, Oct 16                      
Thu, Oct 23                     
Wed, Oct 29                    

COST:
$600 per participant. 

To be in a cohort with half a dozen other folks seeking to move on the cutting edge of God's will for them and creative purpose in the world - it should be a deeply energizing experience - and there is no telling WHAT will come of it for each of us!

Only God knows.  

For more information, or to register, contact epicentergroup.dc@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment