Friday, August 2, 2019

WHAT PLAYING 4 SQUARE TAUGHT ME



I looked out the window of my hotel room into the open plaza in front of the Kansas City Convention Center, and I saw four square courts. I had not thought of four square in years. This game dominated recess in my elementary years at Alcott Elementary in Riverside, California.

The first thing I remembered is that I was competitive.  But then I thought about it more, and realized I wasn't very good at it.  Competitive but not very good. Often I would work my way up from square 4 to square 1, even though my coordination was abysmal. Why?

I began to replay the game in my mind. I'd wait in line until one-by-one, people got out and I entered square 4. Then the guy in square 1 would serve to 3, slamming the ball in a way, that he was out. And without doing anything, I'd move up to 3. Then a kid would enter 4 taunting square 2. So Square 1 served to 4, who then slammed the ball into 2, and 2 was out. I moved up to 2. I have maybe touched the ball once at this point. Then the new 3 decides to take out 1, to show him who's boss. And, just like that, I'm at the top of the heap. Not because of skill, but because of personal dynamics between the other players.

My mind shifted to the presidential candidates. They are down from two dozen to about six serious contenders.  But the one who emerges may not be the wisest or the best equipped for the job, but simply be like me: the guy (or gal) who benefited from two or three of the others fixated on taking each other out.

When good and strong people personalize their disagreements and have a falling out, we all lose!  They mutually marginalize each other, almost guaranteeing that a klutz like me advances past both of them to power. 
It's true at the office, and Lord knows it's true in church life. Distrust and bad blood so often create a lose-lose scenario. Race issues further complicate things.

In four square, I find leadership lessons: one, the best player doesn't always prevail. Two, if we can take a breath and think strategically rather than emotionally, the outcomes are often better all around.

In our complicated world, alliances are tougher than ever. But we need them more than ever if we want our church, our country and our planet to thrive in the years ahead.

Whom do you need to make peace with for the greater good?!  What hatchets need to be buried?  What hard conversations need to be faced and embraced?  What relational restart buttons do you need to push?  Jesus taught us to pray for the persons - and the groups - who have offended us.  There are plenty of reasons for this - but one good reason is that we might need one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment